Wednesday 28 August 2013

The night is dark and full of terrors

♫ Sequester – Night's Watch

No spoilers here, don't worry! I don't like to be spoiled myself, and I will protect others from it too! And the song I'm listening to is actually about this series!

I'm not much of a reader. I don't know how much I read "on average", but I'm not the type who always has at least one book in progress. However, something strange has obviously happened to me since I've already finished two books this year – well, I had started the first one last year and read the first half quite slowly... Until I got a grip of myself in spring and sped up. 

I've been reading A Song Of Ice And Fire – in other words, the Game of Thrones novel series, for a few fears I guess. It took me quite a while to finish the first book. It took me something like half a year to read half of the second book, A Clash of Kings. But as I sped up in spring, I finished the latter half of it in a few months... And at the beginning of summer, I started the third book, A Storm of Swords. It's over one thousand pages long, and I finished it a few days ago... And that is damn fast for me!


I bought the first four books in a bundle when I began because I figured I'd be a slow reader. It was true at first, but obviously something happened to me. Although all three books so far have contained some bloody boring chapters, they've been very enjoyable too – especially the third one since I devoured it with such appetite. Those of you who have watched the HBO TV series, and especially the third season, know the amount of extreme drama in the third book... But yes, it was the most interesting piece so far.


Now I'm moving onto A Feast for Crows. I think it'll be very different from the earlier volumes – I even heard a rumor it's not nearly as good as the preceding ones... But we'll see, eventually. I can barely wait for the fourth season of the TV series!

As all the fans know, it's not particularly safe to root for any character in the series as they might as well die next, but nevertheless, I support Jon Snow! Mostly in the books, though. Peter Dinklage does such awesome job as Tyrion Lannister in the show that it's difficult not to like the character, not that he wouldn't have the same wits in the book. And strangely enough, I've found myself liking Sansa Stark in the books too, maybe because her chapters have often been interesting.

Do you watch Game of Thrones or read A Song of Ice and Fire? Who are your favorite characters?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I read all novels until now... I particularly like Dany Targayen and - like you - the Dwarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Daenerys is also an interesting character. However, I haven't yet decided if she's good or bad..!

      Delete
  2. I did, I do, I love it! It has everything I like. I was really fond of Khal Drago (blush) but that is just because I saw the movie first. That I red the book and was so disappointed that they made the Daeneris and his firs time scene so ... violent. I would really loved if he had stayed at least for one more season. :p
    I also like Tyrion. He is intelligent and smart. But the scenes with Daeneris and her dragons are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was also slightly disappointed with what they did to that scene. I also think there are many examples of characters who seem slightly different in the novels/series, more or less likable etc. I understand most of them better when I read about their decisions rather than watch them.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...